Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Casa Grande report



In the arid Sonora Desert, just south of the Superstition Mountains, the festival at the Casa Grande Ruins National Park was cool in many ways; beautiful ancient Hohokam ruins and vast archeological site (5 miles square), pottery shards litter much of the park. The concert went well with New Mexico musician, Randy Granger performing with me all three days, playing Hang drums, Randy brilliantly accompanied my experimental rim-blown flutes, it went well with the Arizona evening.
Carlos played a most sweet and gentle concert, his flute playing was like holding a baby bird in your hand. Nice.
 In every way the Park Rangers really took care of us and put on a very good festival. The big stage was right by the large Hohokam ruins, the festival was well thought out and nicely done.
My friend, Ranger Alan Stanz, guided Scott August and me around  remote parts of the archeological park, really amazing. I did suffer some temptation concerning those pottery shards, but I only took pictures.
MGA 

No comments: